Etcetera

Pictures of various stuff that I maybe took pictures of, hoping to put up webpages for them, but forgot about the pics so I'm dumping them here instead.

Brazing01

Brazing: setting up. Note the broken firebrick cave.

Brazing02

Heating up. That's the small EMT-conduit-burner-tube burner, .023" jet and no choke. It's seen a good bit of use at this time as evidenced by the crunchy looking flare.

Brazing03

The firey genesis of my medium burner.

Brazing04

Brass braze is flowing, just about done here. The orange flame seen coming off the arm that's being brazed on is due to sodium in the borax flux I added to the joint.

Brazing05

Done. That's one toasty piece of cast iron!

FlaskSides1

Cast aluminum sides for a flask. You can see it complete, in use on the cross slide casting. Dimensions are 5/16" thick, 3" (3 1/4"?) wide, 10" long. The fresh casting on the right, sprue and all, was supposed to be the final piece but it didn't fill completely so I had to make another side. Poo.

HotStuff

Hot stuff indeed! This was one of those tries at melting cast iron. Turns out I can make very small amounts of it! Haven't tried getting it hot and molten enough to make anything, it's enough for me to say I can melt the stuff. Proof that my EMT conduit burner is plenty toasty!

Invested1

Really should make a seperate page for this but oh well. This is an investment casting. Seen here is the wax pattern mounted on a flask lid (flask = tomato can, same I use for crucibles) which is then filled with a plaster and sand mixture.

Invested2

Burning it out in the furnace. This was at the end, after much burning time (2 hours at least) with the big burner on as low as it goes (in fact it burned out a few times).

Invested3

Melting some metal for same.

Invested4

Ready to pour...

Invested5

Tuyere shot. The glory hole. Insert firey euphamism here!

Invested6

And, dut duh duh daaa, the result after pouring and quenching the mold in water (AFTER the metal solidifies. ;)

Invested7

Either a bell or a venturi for a much larger burner that I have no use for. Although now that weed season is starting up......

Invested8

Top down. Sprue and two vents are seen. Not as easy to see is a little shrinkage, due to the center of the mold still being near red hot (indeed, investment would make a good refractory if it had any strength) causing the sprue to harden before the rest of the casting. Inconsequential. A few bubbles also present as blobs on the surface, those file and grind off easily.

LateMelt1

Dark shot. No flash so you're seeing it pretty much as you'd see it.. except it's darker than that. LOL Wish I owned that camera (that's my gloved hand and knees; Mark is behind his camera), ours is pure crap for anything not under direct sunlight.

LateMelt2

Stirring the slag. Popcanium! See also the medium burner in action.

LateMelt3

Lookit that paint burn... no wonder there's soot all around the furnace eh?

LateMelt4

Ready to pour. Soon as I skim half the melt's weight off as dross anyway.

NewVerb01

Gonna make a page for this once it's done. The New And Improved© reverberatory furnace. This is the almost finished lid pattern, yep the burner (that's the tuyere) will be at an angle to get better heating.

NewVerb02

Base pattern. 3" deep, 9" square. I've sanded away a lot of foam for the smoothed edges but there should still be at least 20 pounds capacity in this thing.

NewVerb03

Complete top and bottom sitting in place, plus the cutout for the pouring chute. Sheetmetal (about 24ga. gavanized) box is 13" square, lid is 4" tall and hearth 5" so will take around 0.7 cubic feet of refractory... about a 50 lbs. bag's worth!

NewVerb04

Complete lid pattern, alone.

Popcans1

A much older photo of melting some more of the same popcans in the trashcan furnace.

Popcans2

Damn cans take so much longer to melt. Torture on the crucible can and tends to burn through. Oh well. Not casting anything but ingots anyway...

Popcans3

Not sure what this is, melting leftovers in the un-burned-through side of the can?

PwrHck1

Ah, my power hacksaw project featuring those beautiful 9" pulleys and babbit bearings. But I think I'll scrap it anyway... y'know, I don't really mind hacksawing(!). The blur seen on the pulleys is me moving them as I remove a belt, I obviously wouldn't be posting a shot of my hands stuck in a running machine! Holy ouch batman...

PwrHck2

PwrHck3

Attaching the crank arm. Needs a bigger setscrew...

PwrHck4

And so on...

Vise001

What happened to that old vise casting. Actually this is when I got it working good, the last thing that happened was I broke it further after my zinc-brazing attempts to repair the broken aluminum failed. Fatigue faliure by the leadscrew for what it's worth. Figured it was going to be there or up by the fixed jaw.


Return to Casting


Web page maintained by Tim Williams. All rights reserved.